READING PASSAGE 1
You should spend about 20 minutes on Questions 1-13, which are based on Reading Passage 1 below.
Section 1 (Questions 1 - 4)
- This medicine must be taken as directed
- Before using shake the bottle
- Dose: 50ml to be taken twice daily after the midday and evening meals.
- Do not take this medicine on an empty stomach or immediately before lying down. [Crack IELTS with Rob]
- If any of the following occur, discontinue taking the medicine and contact your doctor: dizziness, vomiting, blurred vision.
- This medicine is not available without a prescription and is not suitable for children under 5 years.
- Once you have begun to take this medicine you must continue to take it until the bottle is empty, unless advised otherwise by your doctor.
- Only one course of this medicine should be taken in a period of 6 months.
- Expiry date: 16 February 2004
Section 2 (Questions 5 - 9)
Important Notice: Product Return
Fancy Foods wishes to inform the public that pieces of metal have been found in some jars of Fancy Foods Chicken Curry (spicy). The batches of the jars involved have some numbers from J6617 to J6624. The batch number is printed on the bottom of each jar.
If you have any jars with these batch numbers, please return them (preferably unopened) to the supermarket where you purchased them. You can also return them to the factory (Fancy Foods Retailers, Blacktown). [Crack IELTS with Rob] Fancy Foods will pay $10 for each jar returned unopened and $5 for each jar already opened.
No payment will be made for empty jars, which do not need to be returned. However, the company’s retailing manager will be interested to hear from people who have consumed chicken curry from any of the above batch numbers. In particular, it will be helpful if they can give information about the place of purchase of the product.
Jars of Fancy Foods Chicken Curry ( Coconut) and Fancy Foods Chicken Curry ( Mango) have not been affected and do not need to be returned.
Fancy Foods will pay a reward of $10000 to $50000 for information which leads to the conviction of any person found guilty of placing metal pieces in its products. [Crack IELTS with Rob] If you have such information please contact the Customer Relations Manager, Fancy Foods Retailers, Blacktown.
Section 3 (Questions 10 - 13)
Have you ever wanted to buy a small bedside table? Or a dinner table for 20 people? If you want it, we’ve got it! Fabulous Furniture has Australia’s widest choice of furniture.
If you visit a Fabulous Furniture store, you can have your furniture – right now – using our Fabulous Furniture Credit Card. [Crack IELTS with Rob] When you see something you really want, you can have it straight away and pay later.
Unlike most cards, the Fabulous Furniture Credit Card offers a full 60-day interest-free period on every Fabulous purchase – no matter when you make your purchase. This leaves you with more money to spend on other things.
- You may choose to pay the full amount within 60 days. In this case, you pay no interest.
- You may spread your payments over a longer period. In this case, interest will be charged after the initial 60-day interest free period.
Application is absolutely free! Nor are there any annual fees or administration fees. [Crack IELTS with Rob] Just fill in the application form and bring it to your nearest Fabulous Furniture store. Your application will be processed promptly and you can begin making purchases immediately after your application is approved.
We have stores in every major city, so you’re never far away from a Fabulous Furniture store. For our addresses, just check in your local telephone directory.
Questions 1 - 4
Read the information on the Medicine in Section 1.
Do the following statements agree with the information in the passage?
In boxes 1-4 on your answer sheet, write
YES if the statement agrees with the given information
NO if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN if there is no information about this in the passage
1. You should lie down after you have taken the medicine.NO
2. You must stop taking the medicine if your eyesight is affected.YES
3. You must stop taking the medicine when you feel better.NO
4. This medicine is suitable for a person of any age.NO
Questions 5 - 9
Answer the questions below based on the information in Section 2.
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER for each answer.
Write your answers in boxes 5-9 on your answer sheet.
5. Where can you find the batch number on your jars?ON THE BOTTOM
6. How much will you receive for an opened jar of contaminated chicken curry?$5
7. If you have eaten chicken curry from a jar with one of the batch numbers listed, whom should you contact?COMPANY’S RETAILING MANAGER
8. What information do they ask you to provide about the jar of chicken curry you ate?PLACE OF PURCHASE
9. What is the maximum reward Fancy Foods is offering for information about who contaminated the product?$50,000
Questions 10 - 13
Look at the extract from a brochure in Section 3.
From the list of headings below, choose the most suitable headings for Sections C – F.
Write the appropriate numbers, i – viii, in boxes 10 -13 on your answer sheet.
List of Headings
i Payment options
ii Save money by not paying interest
iii Choosing your style of furniture
iv Free advice on furnishing your home
v Location of stores
vi Applying for a card
vii Ordering furniture from home
viii A wide range of furniture
Section A vii
10. Section Cii
11. Section Di
12. Section Evi
13. Section Fv