There have been arguments over the possible impacts that computer and electronic games might inflict on the young. [Crack IELTS with Rob] Although there is some truth to the belief that playing games on computers and other electronic devices enhance certain skills, I would side with those who think playing such games is a waste of time.
On the one hand, there are several reasons why some people consider video games as tools to sharpen some important skills. [Crack IELTS with Rob] First, many games, such as science or puzzle games, stimulate young players’ brains and sensitivity, which gives those players an opportunity to cultivate their creativity and problem-solving skills. Second, people argue that shooting games, like Counter Strike, require tremendous focus and extremely fast reflexes to complete stages in those games. With reflexes and concentration capability improved, players can demonstrate more effectively daily tasks which specifically requires those enhanced skills.
On the other hand, I would argue that spending time on video games is a waste regardless of the possibility of skill development they might offer. [Crack IELTS with Rob] Young people are supposed to study properly either at school or at home, to which this form of entertainment is a grave detriment. Those types of games are fun; however, they are addictive at the same time. An excessive amount of time would be used for games if players are exposed to them on a frequent basis. This, consequently, results in the reduction of time for study, which should be people’s top priority at their age. Furthermore, skills sharpened by computer and electronic games can also be acquired by a number of other healthy, educational and less time-consuming options, such as reading books or participating in sports clubs.
In conclusion, it seems to me that having a few skills enhanced by playing video games cannot justify the fact that it is a waste of time. [Crack IELTS with Rob]
Collocations and Idioms:
1. Sharpen some important skills: practice to improve
2. Cultivate their creativity and problem-solving skills: develop creativity and problem-solving abilities
3. Tremendous focus and extremely fast reflexes: high concentration and quick responses
4. This form of entertainment is a grave detriment: a not good form of entertainment [Crack IELTS with Rob]
5. Players are exposed to them on a frequent basis: playing games frequently
6. Healthy, educational and less time-consuming options: good choices for health and education