There are contrasting opinions on whether ambition is a beneficial quality for people to succeed. [Crack IELTS with Rob] While acknowledging that being ambitious might have some potential drawbacks, I would argue that it plays a significant, positive role in motivating people to strive to accomplish their dreams.
Undoubtedly, an ambitious and aggressive mindset can make an enormous difference in people’s thinking and behaviors. As the old saying goes, soldiers who do not aspire to become general are not good soldiers. [Crack IELTS with Rob] Ambition breeds strong determination and unwavering perseverance.
The prime advantage of ambition is that ambitious people are more likely to achieve their full potentials as they are usually strongly motivated. [Crack IELTS with Rob] Numerous studies show that successful people tend to have well-defined and higher objectives for their careers; on the contrary, under-achievers often settle for mediocrity and fail to make the best use of their abilities.
However, there are also risks with being overly ambitious. Setting unrealistic goals can result in a stressful lifestyle. This could be highlighted by today’s highly competitive job market, where people are encouraged to aim high even at the expense of their health and family life. [Crack IELTS with Rob] Furthermore, unbridled ambition can cause massive damage to our society, as ambitious people without the constraint of morality are prone to take fatal risks to meet their objectives. For example, the infamous unscrupulous tradesman bankrupted the Bank of Scotland by his illegal trading practice in the hedge fund market in the pursuit of massive profits.
In conclusion, ambition is a critical factor when it comes to people’s chance of success. [Crack IELTS with Rob] And I believe ambition is a desirable character trait, provided it is utilized with moderation and guided in the right direction.
Collocations and Idioms:
1. motivate people to strive to accomplish their dreams: encourage people to try hard
2. an ambitious and aggressive mindset: being ambitious and aggressive [Crack IELTS with Rob]
3. breeds strong determination: make something/develop bigger and bigger
4. unwavering perseverance: patient and never give up
5. under-achievers often settle for mediocrity: those who are not ambitious tend to be satisfied with what they have
6. fail to make the best use of their abilities: do not try the best in their ability
7. aim high even at the expense of their health: try big things and do harm to their health
8. unbridled ambition: ambition that has no limit
9. infamous unscrupulous: badly known/ known for bad things
10. in the pursuit of massive profits: to get lots of money
11. a desirable character trait: a good characteristic
12. without the constraint of morality: immoral people