WRITING TASK 2
You should spend about 40 minutes on this task.
Write about the following topic:
Some people say that the government should not put money on building theatres and sports stadiums. Others argue that they should spend more money on medical care and education.
Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.
IELTS Writing Task 2
It is a highly debatable issue whether the government should spend money on medicine and education rather than on theatres and sports stadiums. In my opinion, all these things are important for the people and therefore, the government should allocate equal resources for both.
Basic medical care is very important for the general public. If people are healthy, there will be more work productivity and the country will prosper as a whole. There are many people who live below the poverty line and it is the government's responsibility that they should receive medical aid whenever needed. There are also the elderly who have paid taxes throughout their working life and now need good medical care.
Adequate education facilities are also the duty of the government. Today, there are a number of children from deprived backgrounds who get substandard education. They would definitely require a high quality of education if they are to succeed in later life. What is more, an educated society has less crime and violence and the country gets good recognition in the whole world if its people are educated.
On the other hand, theatres and sports stadiums are equally essential for people. Art and entertainment is also a basic human need. Theatrical shows provide entertainment and at the same time preserve our culture and tradition. Our artists earn name and fame for our country. Sports stadiums, similarly, attract millions of spectators to watch matches every year. Many more millions watch games on television, read about them in newspapers, and discuss them with their friends. Therefore, we cannot say that these are unnecessary expenses and therefore the government should not ignore them.
In conclusion, I believe that medicine and education are needs that we recognize, but theatrical or sports events are also basic needs. Therefore governments should allocate resources for both these things.
Idioms and Collocations:
1. a highly debatable issue: a hot topic
2. allocate equal resources: spend on this equally
3. more work productivity: ability to do well at one's work
4. prosper as a whole: develop something
5. live below the poverty line: be poor
6. receive medical aid: get medical help
7. Adequate education facilities: good facilities in education
8. from deprived backgrounds: poor families
9. substandard education: bad education
10. require a high quality of education: need better education
11. educated society: society in which there are a lot of educated people
12. get good recognition: known by other nations
13. preserve our culture and tradition: protect culture and tradition
14. earn name and fame for: make the country famous
15. attract millions of spectators: attract many people to there
Please click the red words below for other Sections in this Mock Test:
|Mock Test 1 | Speaking Part 1|
|Mock Test 1 | Speaking Part 2|
|Mock Test 1 | Academic Writing Task 1|